As lawyers or law students, it is easy to understand how important the entire process of investigation is with regards to culpability. It is the make or breaks in helping law enforcement agencies identify the intricacies of the case at hand – to sift the facts and the details. It cannot be stressed enough the importance of the stage of the investigation. Naturally, therefore, a fault in such a step would be detrimental to the entire case.
The incorporation of technology into the legal field has introduced a new level of ease with which law enforcement agencies are now able to perform their duties at a faster and more efficient pace than ever before. We have in previous blog posts discussed the various software present in aiding lawyers, particularly, such as case management software, and documents management software. These are cumulatively known as practice management software. Therefore, it is of no surprise that even software that deals with investigation case management are present software is by far one of the greatest gifts that the technological era has given to the legal field. Investigation case management software is for reasons herein mentioned important. However, we do not presently see much of its incorporation in the legal field, at least with regards to India.
If you’re a practising lawyer in need of an efficient system for any investigation, be it business-related, fraud, money-laundering, even background check of employees does consider investigation case management software for the below-mentioned reasons.
INVESTIGATION CASE MANAGEMENT SOFTWARE: WHY?
- Important data that can be used as actionable intelligence can be centrally managed from the investigation software. This spell out convenience because as the legal field involves so much data handling, and that too in separate locations – some hard copy and some soft copy, such a consolidation under a central system makes work much easier. It also allows one-stop access to all the relevant data. The investigation case management software is able to take data from various systems and information sources that were previously separated from each other under one software. Therefore, the investigation case management software helps the user to connect the dots easily by the simple fact that s/he is able to view all of them under one platform, if necessary.
Simplification of process
- Investigation case management software simplifies the process simply by making sure there is more organization. Once, the consolidation of data is done, the data can be organized, therefore making it easier to analyze and classify the data. Data is thereby assigned as important or not. Investigation case management software allows for the sifting of data.
Aids investigator’s work
- “Following the paper trail” is akin to following the bread crumbs in the legal manner of speaking.
- The investigation case management software provides all the data required for the investigation. There are two types of data – structured and unstructured. Structured data talks about the data that is available straight out of a database – consolidated sheets of data fall within the meaning of the structured data. The term ‘unstructured data’ is used to refer to the scanned document, emails, audio, and video files. If the investigation case management software is coupled with content management software, then it can also be sued to extract data and then analyzed.
- Investigation case management software limits access to just users who have the access information. Thereby ensuring that sensitive information does in no way get leaked. Such an option is for obvious reasons important in the context of an investigation, where evidence tampering, forgery, destruction of evidence are all very real threats to the integrity of the investigation. In such circumstances, investigation case management software allows for better security of information collected.
- Investigation case management software aids in managing and accessing data. Normally, the legal field involves scattered information that needs to be pieced together, and sometimes escape any real forms of organization and efficiency. This leads to a lot of time spent, which can be saved by using an investigation case management software. As we’ve discussed above, the software allows us to collate, classify, and analyze the data necessary for the investigation. This, in turn, allows us to save time.
- Investigation case management software automates processes, and it has increased accuracy, real-time reporting, and universal access. This also helps in saving precious time, which can then be diverted elsewhere.
- Investigation case management software allows for cross-platform/cross-department sharing and collaboration. It is easy to see the way such software could ease the sharing of information between parties involved and law enforcement with such a tool.
- Investigation case management software helps in streamlining communication and interactions. It provides an interface that allows for higher efficiency and does away with paperwork dependency. Therefore, investigation case management software is a one-time investment that allows the user to save money with its features, unique to each software.
Investigation case management software is one of the various types of software that is revolutionizing the way lawyers and law enforcement agencies perform their tasks. For reasons previously mentioned, the tasks can now be performed with improved ease and efficiency. The investigative stage of any case is a crucial turning point, and as every lawyer knows, findings cannot be amended at every instance of appeal unless under specific conditions heightening the importance of accuracy and correctness in the evidence gathering and conclusion framing stage, i.e., investigative stage. Therefore, it is easy to see that investigative case management is of significant import.