In most cases, dealing with a personal injury case can be a frustrating experience. This is especially true if you have no idea what you’re getting into and what steps to take to help you handle the situation. Fortunately, navigating a personal injury case doesn’t need to be a difficult undertaking with the help of a reputable attorney. Whether you’re injured in a car accident, slip and fall accident, or in a medical malpractice case, you want to make sure you have the right attorney for the job.
However, with a variety of legal professionals to choose from, finding the right one can be a daunting task. Besides, not every attorney knows how to handle personal injury cases. Although one is experienced in a particular field of law, it doesn’t mean they’ll be good at representing you in another area of law.
Thus, to make sure you can find the right personal injury attorney for your case, below are a few ways you can consider from the get-go:
1. Look For A Variety Of Options
Searching for a good legal professional, like a personal injury attorney Dallas, TX, or wherever you may be, can be intimidating, especially if you don’t know where to start. But, in order to narrow down your choices and find the appropriate one for your situation, you need to gather many prospective lawyers.
Generally, the following are some ways you can get a variety of options:
- Friends and acquaintances: One of the best ways to find a personal injury attorney is through your friends and acquaintances. You may know of someone who was previously represented by an attorney for their personal injury claims. If they share some good experiences about the legal professional, then it can be a good idea to consider the attorney as a potential candidate.
- Attorneys You Already Know: If you’re represented by a lawyer in your personal injury case before, it may seem obvious to work with that person again. However, if you believe the attorney you know may be unable to represent you in your present case, you can always ask them to refer you to someone who may be a good fit for your situation.
- Online Search: Aside from referrals, you may also find the right personal injury attorney by searching online. There are resource websites that can help you check how skilled and reputable your potential lawyer may be. Also, reading online reviews from websites can also be a good method for having a list of prospective legal professionals to choose from.
2. Have A List Of Criteria To Help Your Search
Once you have a list of potential personal injury attorneys to choose from, the next step to is to make a list of criteria that’ll guide you throughout your search. When you have this list, you can narrow down your options and make sure to find the right legal counsel for your personal injury case. Typically, the essential criteria in your search may include:
- Experience: Be sure to know how long your prospect has been in the practice of law. Also, find out which specific area of law they specialize in. For example, you can ask what percentage of their practice is devoted to personal injury law, and whether they represent plaintiffs more often than the defendants, or vice versa. By getting familiar with their experience, you’ll know how a lawyer can help you.
- Proven history of verdicts and settlements: Another criterion to take into account when finding the perfect legal professional is their proven history of verdicts and settlements. This is especially true if you’re dealing with a large case and you want to obtain maximum compensation for your injuries. Given this kind of situation, you want to ensure the lawyer you consider knows how to deliver verdicts and settlements in your favor.
- Size of the firm: Depending on your situation, the size of the firm may impact the way you choose your personal injury lawyer. For instance, dealing with a large law firm may encourage insurers to make a low settlement offer because they believe that big offices don’t give much time into a usual personal injury case than the small offices do. On the other hand, smaller firms may not have enough resources to help you handle your case more efficiently. With these things being said, it’s important to assess what you want to happen in your case before choosing whether to go to a large or small firm.
- Communication: It’s also essential to consider how well your prospective lawyer communicates. Make sure they listen to you and know how to explain things very well. Also, find someone who can keep you informed about the progress of your case. That way, you can avoid making the entire process less stressful to you.
- Fees: It’s also important to discuss the fees involved when looking for an attorney for your personal injury case. Be sure to ask about the fees you’re paying upfront to make the transaction more transparent. Typically, most personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, which means that they can’t recover anything unless you win the case and get the settlement you deserve. However, it’s still crucial to clarify this fee setup to avoid problems along the way.
3. Set Up A Consultation
Now that you already have a list of criteria to use when finding the right lawyer for your case, it’s time to call law firms and set up a consultation. Generally, most personal injury attorneys offer free consultation to their clients, so get the most out of it to know your prospects very well and make a sound decision.
During the consultation, you’ll be requested to narrate your case by providing essential details about what happened and the injuries you sustained as a result thereof. Also, to help you determine whether the lawyer has the ability to represent you in your case, be sure to bring all the necessary documentation so they can provide you with valuable legal advice. Doing so may give you an idea whether or not they’re fit to handle your situation.
The Bottom Line
Whether you’ve been involved in a car accident, a medical malpractice case, or in some other ways, having a personal injury attorney by your side makes a lot of sense. They can help you navigate the whole legal process much more easily, from filing a personal injury claim to obtaining full compensation for all your losses.
Therefore, to ensure you get the appropriate person who can fight for your case, keep these ways in mind, and you can make the search process much easier and faster.
Chloe Steele is a law student. She shares her knowledge about the law by writing legal articles and blogs online. During her free time, Chloe enjoys reading books, yoga, and hanging out with friends.